Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

OkTrends 10 Charts About Sex

By Grace Tzeng

Shutterstock
10 Charts About Sex is hilarious research taken from hundreds of millions of members of OkCupid, a free dating site in the U.S.  My cousin sent me info about their blog OkTrends.  

I’ll discuss some of the charts and you can also check it out.  Just click on the link above.  
  • Chart #2:  Is Your Ideal Sex Rough or Gentle?
The percentages surprised me.  Around 50% of older men around 60 like rough sex – isn't that weird?  And less than 5% of women around that age group enjoy rough sex.  I wonder how older couples can be sexually compatible.

  •  Chart #3:  Odds Someone Enjoys Giving Oral Sex (Vegetarians vs. Non-Vegetarians)
I can’t believe that they divided the non-vegetarians with the vegetarians and compared their oral sex habits.  That was the most funniest and most ridiculous thing I ever read.  

Around 256,000 OkCupid users voted and apparently vegetarian men like to give oral sex with the odds 9:1. On the other side of the spectrum, the people who least enjoyed giving oral sex were non-vegetarian women with the odds being a little over 1:1.

The chart was hilarious, but also a bit confusing.  I didn’t understand some of the perverted vegetarian slang:

Tossing the salad.
Putting Monsanto in your santo.
Sorry, that's got ham.

I’m confused about the "split pea soup" but I do not want to understand it.  I rather enjoyed the original, edible split pea soup from Whole Foods Market after I diluted it.  Now I have a craving for soup, the real soup, not the X-rated kind. 

  • Chart #5:  Odds of Masturbating Today (People Who Use Twitter Every Day vs. Everyone Else)
Each time I saw a new chart, it made me laugh.  From the 21,000 OkCupid users who are 18-24 years old, it seems that they masturbate as much as they use Twitter with the odds being 2:1.

What if someone uses Facebook more?  What does that say about them?

  • Chart #7: Women By Body Type (Sex Drive vs. Self-Confidence)   
It states that “Curvy women pass skinny ones in self-confidence at age 29 and never look back. They also consistently have the highest sex drive among the groups.”  Ladies, be proud of your curvaceous bodies! 

And it looks like in chart #8 that all men’s body types have about the same peak sex drive. And for men, the average body type has the most self confidence.  

  •  Chart #9:  College Tuition vs. How Many Times A Week The Students Would Like To Have Sex
Approximately 19,000 OkCupid users were polled and out-of-state tuition costs were factored in – the highest being $48,000 per year.  With regards to the amount of sex students wanted per week, the chart's range was between four to six times per week.  

Students from Sarah Lawrence, a private school, wanted to have sex the most (6 times per week).  They also had one of the highest rates of tuition – over $42,000 per year.   

Iowa State students wanted the least amount of sex per week which was about four times per week; their tuition was a little over $18,000.  

The lowest tuition was Wayne State (around $8,000 to $9,000 per year); they wanted to have sex around five times a week. 
 
These were all interesting and quirky statistics.  I would like to have been there when OkTrends staff were thinking of cagtegoies and chart titles.   

Can you imagine an OKTrends blog member saying, “Okay, let’s think of something totally off the wall.”  Another person probably said, “I’ve got it.  How many people own an argyle sweater with how many times a person masturbates.”

That’s not a category yet, but it may be in the future.   

So what do you think of the charts?  Which ones do you like and/or dislike?

4 comments:

Gabriella said...

I like the "Women by Body Type" chart, of course! This was a fun, playful article, Grace. Well done! And OK Cupid has a good reputation for hooking up quirky nerds, many of whom are bisexual or nonmonogamous--but they're actually one of the better sites out there.

Grace Tzeng said...

I hadn't heard of OKCupid before my cousin sent me info about their blog.

Oh I didn't know that about OkCupid; there's actually a section for bi and non-monogamous people? That's different.

I'd prefer to be in a monogamous relationship myself. Someday I'll be in a relationship again.

Ya, the body type chart is encouraging, isn't it? Thanks for your support Gaby. I appreciate it. :D

miika said...

Oh oh. I've been on OkCupid before.....and you are correct. You can be single/married but still look for a relationship. Or continue to be in a relationship but looking for friends and the such. I think from experience, there is no divide between the virtual world and reality because really, who controls how one can access the net while your significant other is sleeping right next to you. OkCupid is, however, a cleaner and better site than some of the more nastier sites out there. Blech.

Grace Tzeng said...

Thanks for commenting. : ) I'm really happy to see someone giving feedback. Sorry to get back to you so late.

Well M, that's terrible if people are in a relationship and looking for someone else.

But it's good to hear that OkCupid is a better site than other sites.

Let's hope that people who use dating sites can be honest about their relationship statuses.

 
Powered by Blogger