Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Brazen Couple in Restaurant Gets My Attention

By Grace Tzeng

Shutterstock
Darn – if I knew I was going to write about the couple who was in the early stages of making-out, I would have studied them more.   

A few nights ago my mom and I decided to have Italian food.  We got to the restaurant an hour before it closed.  There were people eating at five of the tables in the dining area.  And there were five or six people at the bar area with their backs toward the dining room.

Everything looked normal at first.  There was a couple sitting side by side in a booth within my view a few tables away.  They were in their late forties and looked Italian or of European descent.  The man had brown hair and a white and gray goatee.  His date had brown hair a few inches past her shoulders.    

Before the entrée came she was stroking his hair.  Throughout the meal she either put her arm around his shoulders or on his shoulder.  After the seventh kiss they exchanged, and all the whispering in each other’s ears, I thought, hey there are kids here at the other tables.
 
Time passed and the people at the other tables left.  It was just my mom and I, the people at the bar, and the couple in the dining section. 

Partly in shock, I noticed that the man and woman’s kisses grew longer and steamier in between their dessert and their bill.    

I tried not to stare, but they’re right there as I tried to get the waitress’s attention to get take-home boxes for the pasta.

The man took a break from kissing his girlfriend and came up for air.  He saw me staring and locked eyes with me.  I looked away.  I was scared to look over again, for fear he’d wave me over to join in, just kidding.  Yikes!  No thanks! 

To get one thing clear, I’m no prude; I support P.D.A. (public display of affection).  A peck on the lips before the entrée comes, and a regular kiss after dessert is fine.  But do people have to be so passionate in a well-lit restaurant with kids at two other tables?  

You know what I mean.  You’ve seen couples French kissing and groping each other in public and probably thought, “Get a hotel room, folks.” 

(That night reminded me of the Saturday Night Live skit with Adam Sandler or some actor.  He pretended to be a waiter who clears off the plates on the table with one arm motion and has sex on the table with the customer.  That was too funny.)

Making out in a dance club is no better, but at least it’s a more understandable environment.  Women are dressed provocatively.  Many people drink; and that lowers people’s inhibitions.  It’s dark and bodies are in close proximity on the dance floor.  You have to lean in to hear each other with the deafening music.  “What?  Your friend has a goat?”     

Many years ago I was with my brother and a few gay buddies at a dance club.  We were all dancing when I saw a man and woman on the dance floor roaming each other’s bodies with their hands.  Their lips were glued to one another and I wondered how they could get oxygen.  
Needless to say, my former gay buddy had to pick my jaw off the ground and place my eyeballs back into my socket.  The hand wave in front of my face snapped me back into reality.  I stopped gawking.  

Some brazen couples intrigue me.  I don’t mean to be a voyeur, but when the couple is right there, how could I resist looking?

I don’t know what it is about two people kissing that peaks my curiosity, but it does.  Sometimes it’s annoying, and sometimes it’s fascinating.

Do people who overly demonstrate public displays of affection intrigue or disgust you?  Or do you not care one way or another?   

No comments:

 
Powered by Blogger