Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Dating Story: Part One -- P. I. And The Missing Jewelry

By Grace Tzeng

*All names in this story have been changed to protect the privacy of those involved. 

This is not P.I., but a representation of him. (Shutterstock)
A few months back my buddy, who lives on one of the Pacific Islands, contacted me and sought my advice about women.  We'll call him P.I.  He is Asian and in his late thirties.  

As we spoke over the phone, he told me about an incident that happened the day before. I asked if I could interview him, and this is the first dating story. 
  
On New Year’s Day P.I. attended a musical. During intermission he and a Caucasian woman sitting next to him struck up a conversation.  She was perhaps ten years older than him and a bit heavier than him.  She also had a daughter she spoke of.  

As far as strangers go, they enjoyed talking with one another and the conversation flowed well.  He was beginning to like this woman.  As P.I. was getting acquainted with her, he was getting up the courage to ask for her phone number.  


Thoughts were racing through his mind at an uncontrollable pace. Should I ask her out? What if she's married?  No, I should try to get her number.  But what if she gets offended?  But if I don’t, I might not ever see her again.

At the end of the four-hour musical, my friend had decided to ask her out. As he was getting up from his seat, P.I. and the woman locked eyes.  His heart was pounding and his hands grew sweaty.  From her facial expression, it seemed as if she was waiting anxiously expecting him to get her phone number too.  

And he managed to utter three words from his mouth, “Happy New Year.” As he left the auditorium, he saw the disappointment wash over her face.

After he got home from the show, P.I. ran over the scenario in his head over and over while he was in bed. He was kicking himself in the head.  Why didn't I ask her?  

Shutterstock
Then he devised a plan.  He would call the box office and tell them that she lost some jewelry (which she didn’t) and that he picked it up from the ground since he was sitting in the seat near her.  And he would tell the theater staff to contact the woman since they probably had her billing information.  They would then give P.I.’s contact information to her.  And she would think of him, smile in a pleased way, and call him. 

I heard my friend’s story, but I was confused; so I asked, “If you liked her, why didn’t you get her number yesterday?” 

She could have been a black widow,” he said, “I don’t want to rush it; I don’t even know this person.”  “I was on the verge of asking her, but I was nervous about how she would react.  What if she rejected me?  What if she was married?” Because he had never asked a woman out upon the first time meeting her, all his fears paralyzed him.

If he knew for certain that she was a single mom, and he talked with her more, he would have asked her out.  

P.I. continued, “I think it’s tough knowing what women want.  I go in blind.  It’s just hard to talk to women.”  But I believe he’s getting braver. 

I encouraged him to call up the theater and give it a try since he was torturing himself.  And after he called the theater, he would let me know the results.

Unfortunately the staff told him that he should have left the jewelry at the auditorium instead of taking it home.  I don’t remember exactly what he told me, but I believe he said that the employees don’t contact patrons.  And that he could bring the jewelry to the auditorium and the woman may come by to pick it up if she remembered where she lost it. 

With an agonizing disappointed tone, he said, “I missed the cross road of opportunity.”  

I felt bad for him because he kept on berating himself.  I tried to re-assure him that there would be other women who would come into his life, but I could hear the steady waves of sorrow and regret as he spoke.  

Although it continues to be hard for my friend to find his soul mate, I applauded him for seeing outside of the box, for being non-judgmental and open to dating all types of women.  Most men would be turned off by a big age and weight difference, let alone a single mom.  However, P.I. was seriously considering asking this woman out and even tried to get a hold of her the next day.  

He is a nice person and I wish that he finds a wonderful partner someday.

Can you relate to P.I.’s story?  Have you ever beat yourself up when you missed an opportunity to ask someone out?  Or have you ever felt that someone was going to ask you out but didn't?  



No comments:

 
Powered by Blogger